Statistics show that over 50% of all internet users use actively at least one of the popular social networks. Facebook still enjoys the greatest popularity with Google+, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn and Pinterest following close behind. Given that there are so many people who have profiles on these networks, it is natural to ask yourself whether you should use them to do people search. Find out how this can be done and consider the benefits and drawbacks of this option.
How It Works
The purpose of the social networks is to help you keep in touch with as many people as possible. That is why people search is one of their main functions. You can search for people based on name, email address, location and even the company which they work for. These are just some of the main search options.
In order to perform the search via the respective network, you are required to have a profile in it. The profile gives you the opportunity to contact the person directly as well. Still, there is another method for people search that you can use as well. You can type the name of the person in the search bar of one of the search engines and their profile or profiles will appear in the search results. If they are public, you will be able to view them without signing up with the respective network or networks.
The benefits of performing people search via the social networks are:
– Fast results – The person’s profile will be generated in seconds.
– Access to plenty of details – You can learn about the person’s family, friends, job, interests, hobbies and more.
– Up-to-date information – Most people update their profiles on a daily basis so you can be certain that the details which you find are relevant. This is quite valuable when it comes to contact details, marital status and employment.
– You can contact the person straight away via the social network – There is no need to write them an email or give them a call.
The drawbacks of this search option are:
– There is a good chance that the person, who you are looking for, does not have a social network profile – That way, the search will be useless. You should know that many people have deleted their accounts due to privacy issues.
– Your search might produce inaccurate results – The chance of this is high if the name is commonly found and if the profile that you have found does not have the person’s picture for verification of their identity.
– You may come across a fake profile – This is possible if you are searching for someone who you have met online and who tries to swindle you.
You can now decide whether to do people search via the social networks.